Varicose Vein At-Home Treatment
You may be wondering: How do I treat varicose veins? Is it possible to avoid seeing a specialist? Or do I need surgery?
While some varicose veins require medical treatment, others can be managed effectively at home. For instance, if your symptoms are on the mild side, you might be able to manage them and even reduce their severity. Here are a few tips to help you on the way to home care:
- Wear compression stockings to assist blood-flow.
- Exercise regularly. Try swimming, cycling, and walking to increase your muscle tone and stamina without putting a lot of pressure on your tissues.
- Eat more high-fiber foods like fruits and veggies. Add more foods with higher amounts of flavonoids like apples, cherries, and blueberries to your diet for even greater benefit.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing and avoid tight or high-heeled footwear. The last thing you want to do is cut off your circulation or put strain on your lower legs and feet.
- Where possible, rest and elevate the legs at the end of the day. Sitting or standing all day is not good for your circulation.
When to Seek Professional Varicose Vein Treatment
After trying all of these, if the symptoms of your varicose veins persist or seem to be getting worse, then it’s probably time to speak to a vein specialist. They can help you evaluate your treatment options. This is especially true if your varicose veins start to interfere with your daily life. On the other hand, if you ignore the problem, you risk more serious issues like blood clots, ulcers, chronic swelling, and skin issues like eczema and discoloration.
Medical treatment of varicose veins is nothing to be afraid of. Most of the time, it can be done non-surgically through a treatment plan customized to your needs.
Is it time for you to see someone to treat your varicose veins? Call Grand Junction Vein Center today at (970) 242-8346 and we will get you taken care of right away.